Sunday, November 13, 2016

Flake Fun

13 November 2016 - It has been an interesting and productive week.  We had our last drive through flu shot clinic on Friday and I am glad that they are over.  Scott went to Flagstaff for an economic update (they are cautiously optimistic for the future). And we did a lot of tile at the house. 








We had our stake conference today and it was quite the event.  Some of you may know that Taylor and Snowflake have been at odds for a while but today a new stake was made and we were moved to the new Centennial stake which consists of both Snowflake and Taylor wards.  Our wonderful bishop was called to be the new stake president so there will be a lot of changes in the next couple of weeks in our ward.  Two of the wards in the old Snowflake stake had pieces carved out of them and put into a Taylor ward, but no boundary changes in our ward.   Always great to be a part of history.

I have been thinking the last couple of weeks about preparedness and being self sufficient.  And in light of Lauren's comment about sharing recipes and dinner ideas, I thought I would share something that I have started doing again - a 3 month menu.  Our ward preparedness guru challenged us to have a 3 month supply of food and at first that seemed overwhelming.  Then I sat down with a 3 month menu and made a list of all of our "regular" meals.  There were quite a few of them and I just started putting them into the calendar.  Nothing was repeated more than twice in a month and there were a few spots to fit in the occasional meals.  Being able to look at the calendar gave me an idea of the foods that we eat on a very regular basis and now I am starting to stock up to make sure that those items are in our food storage and freezer.  It also gave me an idea of how much food I really need to freeze or can.  I'm not staying it would work for everybody but it has been nice for us so far. 

If you are looking for something new...fajitas with leeks is REALLY yummy!  It adds a bit of umph.  We also really enjoyed Tuscan Pasta. 

Ingredients:

Pasta (I like penne, bow ties or something of that nature)
Sliced chicken breast (you can do cubes too if you want)
1 pk cream cheese
sun dried tomatoes
4 T butter
1/2 T basil (if you have fresh it is REALLY good)
4 cloves garlic
2 cups milk
6 oz parmesan
salt and pepper

Cook noodles.
Grill/fry chicken.
Remove chicken from pan and saute the garlic in the butter.
Add basil and cream cheese.  Stir until smooth.
Add tomatoes.
Wisk in milk.
Stir in parmesan, salt and pepper
Stir in chicken and serve over noodles. 

This recipe freezes pretty well too if you would like to freeze leftovers!

I hope that you all have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the ideas Jenn! I will actually try that as well as the recipe.

    ReplyDelete