Sunday, June 7, 2015

Happy in Hyde Park

First of all:
Well, the celebrations are over and the new Manning family is on to real married life! The Farmington reception was very lovely. We were grateful to have the Harts and Nilssons, and Emma, there. What great folks we met - and all said remarkable things about Lauren's in-laws. We think she's in great hands and will be very happy. One remarkable thing was having Lauren's long time pen pal, for about the last 10 years, whom she'd never met, come to the reception! Mia Schjelderup (SP?) introduced herself and I thought Lauren was going to jump up and down. She was very excited to finally meet the girl she'd been writing to for so long. It was a fun, unexpected surprise to top off a wonderful day. We were glad she stayed the whole time and visited with family while we were shaking hands. We got lots of pictures of them together and hope they get to meet up again some time. Thanks to all of you for making the effort to support Lauren and Nick at their wedding and reception(s). We couldn't have done it without the help of all of you. Thank you, thank you!!

Lauren and Mia
Next on the list:
This week Dad and I, and maybe Emma, are off to San Diego. My dad's son, Masen, has been caring for him - or at least finding care for him - for several years. Masen and his wife, Jenn, are moving to Texas on the 15th, so we're going down to see what arrangements can be made. There's always something to be working on!

Also:
I sent you all Grandpa's email about gathering in Provo for one last stay at his home there. Don't feel pressured to come, but if you can make it, that would be great. If not, I thought perhaps you could post some memories on our blog that we could share with those who do go. It was a great place to gather and I for one have very happy memories of time spent there.

Speaking of the Provo home (and all the stuff that has to be relocated), I put our name beside the twin beds that were being given away. I thought that with all of the grandkids, someone might need some beds. Grandpa has two twin beds (the soft ones that Emma adored sleeping in) and we have one twin bed (the not so soft one) that are available. Emma is moving downstairs to Lauren's old room and I'm not going to need a twin bed in "my" room upstairs :)  Let me know if you would like one...

Coming up:
I don't know how many of you will be able to attend this reunion in Manila, but I told Beth I'd let everyone know about it. I hope you can read it...



Lastly:
I heard from my friend, Ilene, this morning letting me know that her mom had passed away. She was a great lady and was always so good to me. She welcomed me into her home when other parents of my friends wouldn't. She fed me and talked to me and took care of me. She didn't judge me by my circumstances and was genuinely kind. I love to reflect on people in my life who have changed me for the better because of their simple goodness. I hope to become more like that. Ilene's mom didn't have an easy life. She had some troublesome children and grandchildren, but she loved them all and did her best to help them and others. She's been a widow for quite some time and had some other challenges. But she still remembered me after all these years. I guess it all boils down to what we heard in the "Cinderella" movie we went to yesterday - Have courage and be kind. That's what it's all about in the end. Have courage to live how you know you should as we try to follow the Savior, and be kind to everyone. I'm repenting and trying harder to do just that.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts mom. Sorry to hear about Ilene's mother. Hope things work out satisfactorily with your dad.

    ReplyDelete