Sunday, October 16, 2016

.....And Loving It.

This is ya'lls little sister.  I haven't posted for awhile mostly because my life is exactly the same as it has been for the past six months and because I don't have time to post.  School is tough, the teachers are crazy, homework is insanity, and band is trying to kill me, but it's a good time.
      Speaking of band, this is my funny story of the past six months: we have an awesome ballad in our show.  A few days ago, Mr. Beach (bless his soul) switched my solo with someone else's, so they were playing mine, and I was playing theirs (so I guess it's a duet, not a solo).  Anyway, we had a few minutes to memorize a different part and play it at the competition the next day.  Not too stressful since you can just ear it and it's fine.  Well, Beach decided that he didn't like the range I was playing in, so he kindly told me that he was rewriting my part completely, and instead of going ninety beats a minute, we were going to make it more of a waltz at one twelve.  Good times.  #stressing.  So I got the part at band practice (again, a day before a competition), and I spent about twenty minutes memorizing this completely different part.  Once again, bless his soul.  I was feeling pretty good about it, because I didn't have long and I memorized it and played it fairly well.  I was watching the staffs faces so I could see what their reaction was... If they liked it, what I'd need to change etc.  Not to toot my own horn (pun intended), but I played it pretty much perfectly and I was feeling pretty great about the smiles on the staffs faces.  Ms. Nelson was grinning ear to ear when she called up to Mr. Beach on the tower "Randall! Nice job writing that solo! It totally changes the whole feel!" ............well, yes, indeed, good job Randall.  Thank you for writing such a great solo.
Long story short, I felt a bit like Eliza Dolittle - Ms Nelson "Tonight old man you did it, you did it, you did it"... Mr Beach "but wait, but wait, give credit where it's due.  Most of the credit goes to you." It was pretty funny.  I was standing on the solo box, laughing to myself because nobody else noticed.  To be fair, they did compliment me the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment