Sunday, January 23, 2022

Nilsson News

 I've been trying to think of what to write about but sometimes life in the winter is just a little drab.  I agree with Jenn that the square footage of the home shrinks when it's winter.  So, we are trying something new and taking advantage of the square footage above our heads- namely building bunk beds.  Eliza and Millie are getting a new bedroom and Eliza has been asking for a loft bed so we set out to build that.  Because we are stalled waiting for carpet and can't finish the girl's room, we decided to tackle the boys bedroom.  We have had a queen size bed in their bedroom but it took up so much space and Henry ended up being the only one to sleep in it because Emerson couldn't stand sleeping with him (Henry really is a challenge to sleep with, sigh).  We thought it wouldn't be too much of a challenge (famous last words) so we started to rip out the framing of the closet.  That took us clear down to insulation and chicken wire.  It's such a comfort to know that our house is being held together with chicken wire.  Anyhow, we ended up having to drywall, tape and mud before we could start the actual building of beds.  Emma and Cam came up yesterday and Cam helped out with the building project while Emma and I chatted.  We got the dresser that is going to be at the base of the beds installed, and the two beds are in but not finished.  We need to paint and finish trimming things out but for now the kids are having fun climbing all over the beds and taking advantage of a little more vertical space.

I was sick last week and completely lost the use of my voice.  Since most of our homeschooling involves reading aloud, we kinda took a break from that for a bit.  Millie was quite disturbed with my hoarse attempts to talk and said, "Mom, I really don't like you when you sound like that."  I love how honest kids are.  I also have a massive bruise on the side of my knee from contact with our little Ginger's hoof.  We were trying to glue on her corrective shoes and she was not thrilled and laid one on good.  I had a quick flashback of having my knee knocked out of place and had she kicked me a 1/2 inch higher I probably would have been re-living that.  Ah, the good ol' days!

We are mostly trying to survive the blah time of the season but I don't think we will get desperate enough to try crab.  You are amazing Lauren!  We are hoping to go to Mom and Dad's this Friday and Saturday to celebrate Eliza's birthday and hopefully get an ultrasound!  We will keep you posted!

Demo has begun!

This lovely wood floor is under all the carpet upstairs.
It's not falling even with four kids on top!
The kids like climbing behind the dresser into their secret hideout.  Almost finished!  I'll post a photo of the finished product once it's done.



No comments:

Post a Comment