Sunday, February 21, 2016

Hyde Park

I don't know if any of the rest of you are like this, but I feel incredibly busy all week long, with hardly time to think or to take a deep breath. Then when I sit down to post on the blog, I think, "what really happened this week? Did I accomplish anything at all?"  And I can't think of a thing...

Anyway, Dad was gone for a couple of days to a conference in Salt Lake. He came back earlier than anticipated, which was nice because the car had died and needed help. Just his presence encouraged it to start! We didn't even have to push it into the garage like we were prepared to do.

We had a lovely surprise one day when Thomas showed up just as I was getting dinner ready. Lauren was here teaching and Nick came in time to eat with us, too. Instead of the usual 3 of us for dinner, there were six - and we were all (especially Emma) very glad about that!

T is living in his apartment and having a hard time preparing meals without pans, bowls, etc. But he's surviving. He's very busy, which is why we hardly see him. There are still a few things in his room that we need to move sometime soon, but we're not in any hurry :)

Emma went to the Sweetheart Ball this weekend. We had a near catastrophe when we realized at 6:10 on Friday that we hadn't picked up her dress! Knowing the place closed at 6:00, we rushed over with a prayer in our hearts that we could somehow still pick up the dress. Prayers are answered!! The new closing time was 7:00 and the lady was very kind and pleasant. Emma enjoyed the date very much and had the new experience of making sushi with her friends.

I thoroughly enjoyed a visit with Elise this week. She is very insightful and wise. It made me think that perhaps we could share some thoughts with each other on this blog. After recounting activities of the week, tell us what's been on your mind. What insights, impressions, "Ah-Ha" moments have you had this week? Or what is something you've heard that was meaningful? Maybe we could even have a colloquium about a talk or book we all read. Just an idea. Here's my thought for this week:

If you haven't seen or listened to or read Russell M. Nelson's talk to the young adults from a few weeks ago, you really should! It was a very remarkable talk. He spoke about being True Millennials and gave some very wise and timely counsel and a profound blessing "as though I had my hands upon your heads..."  So much of it impressed me, but here is one of my favorite statements from Pres. Nelson: "Spend more time—much more time—in places where the Spirit is present. That means more time with friends who are seeking to have the Spirit with them. Spend more time on your knees in prayer, more time in the scriptures, more time in family history work, more time in the temple. I promise you that as you consistently give the Lord a generous portion of your time, He will multiply the remainder." I sure need that blessing in my life! I sometimes think I'm too busy to spend more time doing those things, but I need my time multiplied so it's worth a try. I know that obedience brings blessings and that exact obedience brings miracles. President Durrant once said in our stake conference that if you need a miracle, think about how you are praying, reading scriptures, doing family history, fasting, etc. He said that more exactly keeping those commandments would bring miracles into our lives. I've tested that and it truly works.  Give it a try! Here's a link to the devotional
https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/worldwide-devotionals/2016/01/becoming-true-millennials?lang=eng

We are getting excited for the Hart boys to come and have a list of fun things to do while they're here! We are also getting excited for the bridal shower for Victoria! It will be great fun. Can't wait to see all of you and spend some time in the temple together. It doesn't get better than that on this earth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment