Sunday, August 23, 2020

Hart Happenings

 Greetings all!

  This afternoon I was writing down some things that I wanted to be more mindful of and contributing more regularly on this blog made it on my list.  It has been so fun to read back through the posts you guys made over the last month and see all the pictures.  We have the best family!  It has been the highlight of our summer to see so many of you so often this summer!  Thanks to those who made the long journey north to visit for a weekend of fun.  My kids are already planning our next get together.  It was delightful to visit with you all, go fishing, play games, eat homemade ice cream, and enjoy the Xanadudes show.  We are extra glad that Mom was able to sneak away.  Let's make sure these gatherings keep happening!  Can't wait for the next one with T and Victoria and baby JJ.  Now, if we can just figure out how to get our crew down to Snowflake......

  Speaking of family gathering, we have seen every. single. one. of Alex's 8 siblings over the course of this summer.  The exception is one sister that lives in NC and whose husband is a doctor and couldn't be spared at this time.  We have had non-stop visitors since the first week of June.  It has been crazy town.  Alex could see that I was nearing my breaking point and when his brother from Oregon called to say they were in Bear Lake and wanted to stop on their way home and stay a week, he shipped me off to mom's house so I didn't go over the edge.  Ruth came down too and we had a lovely visit with the parents.  Emma made an occasional appearance and I got to meet Cameron and helped clean her apartment since she was moving out.  It was restorative and lovely and just what I needed.

  Ian has had a fun summer participating in productions of Moana (have you watched the movie yet, Mom?) and High School Musical.  He did great in both and it was fun to see what those kids could put together with the short rehearsal schedule they had, just 10 days for each production!  

  Jack tried out for the middle school soccer teams and made it onto the blue team.  The coach knows Jack from coaching a rival team in the last league they were in and he told me he was really excited to have Jack on his team instead of playing against him.  It made Jack feel really good.

  Peter has reveled in all the company we've entertained these past few months.  There has always been someone around to play with!  But it has taken a toll as well and the other night he had a complete meltdown when I asked him to sweep the floor.  It wasn't noisy but with huge, copious tears streaming down his face he said to me: "Mom, I know it's not true and I don't sweep the floor every day but it just really feels like I do."  It was quite tragic.  We are all glad for a little respite.

  We have enjoyed some fun activities like huckleberry picking with the Nilssons, making raspberry freezer jam, and going to the local water park.  According to Alex there is a cold front sweeping in this week at some point so we appreciate the nice summer heat that we have experienced.

  I brought Dad's book Then Some Other Stuff Happened home and the boys and I have been laughing our heads off as I read the essays of eighth-graders that their history teacher compiled.  Here is a favorite excerpt:

  We are currently in the middle of finalizing the plans and getting bids for the add-on we are creating for Alex's parents.  His mom is having a really hard time getting up and down the stairs and after going through a bevy of options from installing a hydraulic lift (similar to an elevator), to a ramp that wraps around the side of our house into the basement, to a garage remodel, we decided that the simplest thing would be to just attach an apartment behind the garage so Sally can access her home from ground level. Now, if we can just afford it.  

  Love to all and hopefully I can figure out how to attach pictures one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment