Saturday, June 29, 2019

Smithfield (Scary) Scoop

So, I think Emma sent her mouse trouble our way! I was making granola on Tuesday evening when all of a sudden Dad shouted, "A Mouse!" He spied it scurrying across the floor in my little reading room right off the front door. We cornered him, put him in a plastic box and Dad took him to the "relocation camp" up the road to the canyon. Solved. No big deal - except that it took about 45 minutes to catch him...

I went back to making granola to send to Emma when Dad said, "There's another one!" I thought he was teasing me, but lo and behold, there was another little critter running around the livingroom -  under the piano, behind the chair, under the table where the stereo is... These are little, itsy bitsy guys, really quite cute - IF they weren't in my house!!! After lots of furniture moving and scrambling around, we caught mouse #2 after another 45-60 minutes.

I admit I was a little shaky and anxious after that. I had Dad get down and look under the bed before I could kneel down and say my prayers! And I walked on tip toes the next morning. Dad had set some traps before we went to bed and there wasn't anything in them the next morning, so I felt much better. Actually, I wondered if these little ones would even be big enough to set a trap off...

Anyway, I had an early errand to run and left. On my way home, I got a text from Dad that said, "Mouse #3 in box on freezer. Peacefully sleeping on top stair. I have put a trap in the storage room." What!!!!??? Yes, another mouse he found asleep on the top step to the downstairs. Easy to catch - put a box over him and scooped him inside. He was the smallest of all. Dad had gone to a meeting and took him to the relocation camp when he got home. Ugggghh!!

Where there are baby mice, there are parents. Where are they and why are they in our house?? Yuck! Makes me feel all creepy crawly... But, so far, no more. Not today.  I still can't walk without wearing shoes in the house. I can't decide if I should wish to never see another one, or to wish to see whatever critter is still hiding out in our house.

You would all be so proud of me - I didn't scream at all! Not once. I did holler at Dad when the second mouse took off across the room... "Grab the box! Grab the box!" And he did. Thankfully!

We did not get photos of Mouse #1, but this is #2...


And this is Mouse #3, the smallest of all
...
And this is our house in shambles while catching #2...

No comments:

Post a Comment