Sunday, April 11, 2021

Nilsson News

 We've just about blown away this week!  We had a couple of days of wind with 45 mph winds and 70 mph gusts.  Thankfully no real damage was done other than a few branches blown off, our address sign broken and one of my planter boxes was obliterated.  Things that can be rebuilt and fixed.  Addy and Eliza and I were driving up to Rigby and saw that one of the on ramps was closed due to a massive track-hoe being blown off its trailer.  The tow truck was doing its best to flip it back over but was unsuccessful.  When we drove by and hour later, they were still working on it.  When I told Henry about it, he was astounded and remarked, "Wow!  That's amazing that something we can't even see can be that strong."  So true!

Aside from these windy days, we have really been enjoying the sunshine.  I was a little overwhelmed with my project and to-do list but finally wrote everything down on paper and just started tackling them one by one.  We decided to move the chicken coop to a different location that receives more sunlight.  Emerson helped me in the dismantling portion and then Garrett and I slowly moved the structure to its new home.  I'm sure that my chiropractor is so tired of me coming in with my back issues, but when hay has to be loaded, chicken coops moved and the menagerie of other back breaking projects need to be done, you do what you gotta do to make that happen!  We also moved a bunch of block into the greenhouse and built a raised bed to house our tomatoes.  I'm so tired of them freezing prematurely!

I now feel like a true farmer thanks to the addition of our little John Deere.  Henry and Millie are delighted with it and love to assist in the work while riding on the side.  It reminded me of the times when dad would borrow a tractor to till the garden with and we were so excited to till with him.  This is one thing that has saved my back!  After turning the manure piles for an hour and a half, my back didn't hurt!  Gotta love machinery!

We immensely enjoyed conference and are so excited to see where the Smithfield temple lands!  The Easter egg hunt was so much fun and lovely weather to boot!  It was hilarious to see Millie's basket full to overflowing and Addy and Ian declaring they couldn't find any eggs and their scanty baskets proved they were correct.  It was delightful to play with Em and Cam and the Hart clan.  I think we could use a few more family members next time!

Garrett and the three older kiddos enjoyed the trip to St. George with the Harts and Bellistons.  The Spartan race was kinda intense being the first of the season.  Treadmill running just can't prepare you adequately for the trail.  I think they enjoyed it and the family time was the best of all.  I stayed home with Henry and Millie and did some fun things with them.  We stayed home hoping one of our donkeys would foal, but alas, they are both still pregnant and we are still waiting.

Hope you are all enjoying the spring and happy Sabbath!




The mustaches were some of the Easter egg goodies and the kids had a great time with them!
The newest farm addition!
Egg dying


No comments:

Post a Comment