Sunday, September 26, 2021

Smithfield Scoop

 Since our last writing several weeks ago, things have been a bit slow-going around here... It turns out that sitting around recuperating from a broken rib is not exciting at all. No walks. No drives for fun. No dancing (not that we do much dancing, but absolutely not right now). No holding babies. No ping pong. Not even walking down the steps in our backyard to check out the swing. Not much besides sitting in the chair reading and making lists of things to do when I feel better. 

But it hasn't been all bad! Jenn was here for a week, which was delightful as always! The children were very patient with a grandma who couldn't do much. We did get to go to Aggie Ice Cream, as per our tradition with these Flake grandchildren - always fun and yummy! 

We loved having Harts come to visit for the day. They invited Aneesa's family to meet them here instead of going to their place in Idaho. It was like the good old days to have Aneesa and some of her boys here! Their oldest boy was just getting ready to leave for his mission in Armenia (where Aneesa's ancestors are from!) and he wanted to see Elise before he left. 

Other recent happenings include Dad going up to see the salmon run up by Porcupine Reservoir - such beautiful fish! He also picked lots of apples at an orchard owned by some friends from Hyde Park, and he's been doing all of the applesauce cooking and canning by himself. I am so slow and after a few appointments, I get worn out and just sit and watch him. 



My sister Rhonda's oldest son, Christopher, came to visit. He is on a solo motorcycle cross country road trip to figure out where he'd like to live. I think he's looking for some meaning to life and I really hope he finds it. He may end up living in St. George or somewhere in Arizona for the winter. Eventually, he said he'd like to go to Florida. He stayed for about a week and it was fun to have him here, though we didn't see much of him.

It's been fun to get acquainted with Oakley, Em and Cam's new arrival. She's a quiet, energetic, loveable little creature! It's fun to see Emma and Cam be so watchful and concerned about her. They are doing a great job being new puppy trainers and seem to be enjoying the challenge!

One of our favorite parts of the week is meeting with the family on Zoom for our Family Matters discussion. We really hope it becomes something everyone looks forward to and can participate in. We don't plan to stop doing that any time soon! Thanks for attending and listening and connecting. We love seeing you all!    

We are in the throes of trying to plan some kind of family gathering for November when everyone is home for Thanksgiving. We are still trying to locate a place where we can all stay together for some activities we hope to have everyone participate in. We will send updates as they become available.

I also wanted to thank all of you for your thoughts on what you have learned from the pandemic. It's been insightful to read and talk with you about how it has affected you. I thought you might enjoy reading what others in the family have learned...

- "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." I'd heard this a ton but never until last year had I put it to practice. When I went shopping for a few things, I was amazed to see the panic in so many faces when I was incredibly calm. I had what was needed at home.

- Being unprepared is a scary thing. We were okay on most things, but I hadn't thought about getting a good supply of baby things.

- I learned that I had become reliant/dependent on others for my spiritual uplift. Losing the church associations and lessons was very difficult because that was the only spiritual nourishment I got each week. I'm aware of it now, so hopefully things will improve.

- I've been trying to think of positive things that we've learned from the pandemic rather than mistrust in the government and experts and frustration. I've recognized recently just how grateful I am for things that I've taken for granted. I couldn't believe how happy I was when primary started again. I think I didn't fully realize how great the programs of the church are and the opportunity to serve. I also went to the temple and felt a similar gratitude for the ordinances there. We went to story time for the first time and it was so happy! Gratitude for those things have been brought to my attention.

- Heavenly Father will always prepare a way. I need to trust in His timing. He is eager to bless his children. The pandemic has helped me step back and see Heavenly Father's plans more clearly. He will never leave us in the dark. When he gives us challenges, He will always help us overcome them through the Savior's atonement.

- True happiness and those things that are most important happen in your family at home. I loved how everything was cancelled and so much learning took place at home.

- It used to be a bit of a hassle to get to the temple. We went every week, but had to arrange things and find a time to go, get a sitter or go separately. Now, we are very grateful to go and appreciate being there much more. 

- When our children couldn't go play with friends, they had to play with each other. They seemed much happier and got along better with each other. It was more peaceful in our home when we just had to stay here. Now options are opening up again and we are getting involved in things again, and it is feeling busy and not as peaceful. We loved having everyone here, just us enjoying each other.

- I’ve learned a lot. But the thing I’ve learned the most about is that…. IT ALL WORKS OUT. (Elucidates many challenges and how they worked out...) And here's the real clencher! Yes it worked out, but Every. Single. Time. It worked out better than I could have ever imagined. It’s not like sure, it worked out alright. It worked out wonderfully and amazingly and better than I could’ve worked it out on my own. And that’s the perfection of our Heavenly Father. We get so stuck on our littleness - our worries, occupations, technology, vacations, and even our good desires - and I’m sure Heavenly Father rolls His eyes and chuckles and says “just wait, it gets better.” And it does! And it keeps getting better! And that’s what I’ve learned. And it hasn’t just been in the past two years, it’s been taught to me over and over and over again. And I’m sure I’ll continue to learn it. Every single one of the things I mentioned either happened because of the pandemic, or were a result of the pandemic. So, pretty much it’s a huge blessing in a really good disguise!!



No comments:

Post a Comment